N. E. corner east Eighth Street and Fourth Avenue, East Oakland, front view. This home was built by Moses Chase ...
Full Collection Name
Jesse Brown Cook Scrapbooks Documenting San Francisco History and Law Enforcement
BANC PIC 1996.003:Volume 27:089--fALB
The Bancroft Library
Full titleN. E. corner east Eighth Street and Fourth Avenue, East Oakland, front view. This home was built by Moses Chase in 1849 on part of 640 acres he brought from old Peralta, who at the time owned a large part of what is now Alameda County. This lot was later a part of the Township of Clinton. Mr. Moses Chase was born in Newberyport, Mass., on July 31, 1806. He was the first white man in Oakland and camped at the foot of what is now Broadway, in 1849. The rear rooms of this house were built in 1849 of ship's timbers, driftwood and redwood shakes. Later, in 1856, the front part of the house was added. As you see in the photograph, the house is in first class condition today, October 5, 1928. Photo taken by Jesse B. Cook and Joseph A. Murray.
Researchers may make free and open use of the UC Berkeley Library’s digitized public domain materials. However, some materials in our online collections may be protected by U.S. copyright law (Title 17, U.S.C.). Use or reproduction of materials protected by copyright beyond that allowed by fair use (Title 17, U.S.C. § 107) requires permission from the copyright owners. The use or reproduction of some materials may also be restricted by terms of University of California gift or purchase agreements, privacy and publicity rights, or trademark law. Responsibility for determining rights status and permissibility of any use or reproduction rests exclusively with the researcher. To learn more or make inquiries, please see our permissions policies (https://www.lib.berkeley.edu/about/permissions-policies).